Friday, August 22, 2008

Field Trips

As I write this on Friday morning. . its my first day Home Alone! While I couldnt be more excited. . it also feels a bit strange. This has been a week full of new, but very small, ventures. On Wednesday morning we took our walk and then a short drive to Bob Evans for a great breakfast of wonderful protein of course! We went to another store to check out some heart rate monitors - ( i know I know - we live on the edge!) I start out the days so strong but after about 2 hours I was asking about the time because I just felt wiped out. We returned home and only a few minutes seated found my sleeping sound. It had already been a BIG day for the patient!

Getting in the car is quite the process. . .my husbands truck requires a stool as I'm not allowed to use my hands or arms to pull or push myself. I have opted for the wonderful Heart pillow from Ikea. . . .Not only does it provide the coughing, sneezing, moving support I need but it also has great arms and real-sized hands to hug people who visit. The Pillow must be between my chest and the seat belt for quite some time.

Each morning when I wake I feel a bit more encouraged as the pain in the sternum is just a bit less. . . By Wednesday I had developed a "new Pain" that was a bit concerning. Just right of the incision I experienced very sharp, deep pain with every deep breath. Wednesday night was another sleepless night. .. no position or drug could bring relief. Thursdays big adventure was my prescheduled appointment with the Surgeon. After establishing that the sternum was still wired securely he went on to explain how many things were cut, and spread, and shifted - all for the work of repairing the heart. This particular pain comes from muscle spasms and healing of the major pectoral muscles which , like many other things were cut and reattached during the process of surgery. As I heal and am able to stand straighter and take deeper breaths different muscles will be used again for the first time. . . Turns out he was able to map out a whole journey of pains yet to come in this healing process....Healing of the heart requires pain and healing in the whole body! - (that will preach!)

Because the new valve is mechanical I will be on anticoagulation therapy the rest of my life. We're still working on correct dosages to maintain therapeutic levels. After 90 days we can apply for insurance approval of a home test kit- this is something I deeply hope for. One weekly fingerstick at home is so much better than a needle stick blood draw at the lab every week. There are about 5 pills that I take daily that will discontinue in one week! - all signs of progress! I couldnt be more pleased with the healing of the incision - its about 10 inches long down the center of my chest but was "glued" together not stitched or stapled or duct taped. We've been walking 2 x daily - i've worked up to 1/2 mile each time so one mile every day. Dr. Cook called me an overachiever - so probably wont have to go through a cardiac rehab program. (I'm still wondering if that was an insult or compliment!). I check in with my cardiologist next week for more recovery stuff! Now - the walks are not sprints by any means. The weather this week has made it very challenging to find the right time. . .heat is not good - and i'm not to be out when its over 80 - yesterday reached 93 - and eliminated an evening walk.

The surgeon explained to me in greater detail with diagrams the amazing work of this dacron graft that secured the aneurysm and attaches to the new valve. An "average" aortic root is 2 cm . . when the aneurysm was discovered mine measured 4.9 - we were able to keep that stable for more than 5 years! When i went into surgery the root measured near 6 cm and was in rupture range. Because I am adopted and have no medical history - there are several theories and possible reasons as to the "why" . . but none that can really be substantiated. Typically these conditions occur genetically - sometimes involving a larger connective tissue disorder. - sometimes involving larger "syndromes". We've been advised to complete full cardiac workups on each of our kids - and told that I will continue to be monitored annually for any new signs of weakening.

BUT for now I have a new heart! A bionic valve that thrills me with the sound and feel of strong beats through my chest! I have a tightly wrapped 2 cm aortic root! From the moment of knowing of the surgery my goal has been to return to preaching at the wonderful Waynesville UMC the first Sunday of September. "Thats only a month after surgery!" states the surgeon. . "Yes, which is why we better get movin!" states the patient. This is a day that is the culmination of much dreaming, visioning, and planning - as new worship times, styles, etc begin. I wont be "lifting" until mid october, Driving is yet to be determined, I certainly wont be back full speed but am so looking forward to our celebration of God's goodness that sunday around a table of grace on September 7. . (my pillow will be doing lots of hugging!)

Today I have prayers to pray, notes to write, books to read and wonderful DVD's to enjoy. Thank you ever seems inadequate in response to the many gifts of encouragment, grace, and love. . . the food!, the cleaning, the notes, the pictures! - My heart is overwhelmed and humbled beyond words!

Before you sign off.. .take just a moment, press your hand against your chest, and just listen! - feel the miracle of the blood moving through your body! Be amazed! and be in AWE! of this Gift of Life - Each beat is a gift - may the beat of your heart, guide the rhythm of your day, and may every breath be offered as gift to the Giver of Life. - - - May every beat, every breath, every step be an offering of thanksgiving to the ONE THAT LOVES you so.

No wonder my heart is glad, and my tongue shouts his praises! My body rests in hope. Acts 2:26

3 comments:

Pastor Heather said...

TJ,

Do you not know? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom.

He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
-Isaiah 40:28-31

May you be increased in power and strength today and each day...SOON, you will be able to run and not grow weary and walk and not be faint!!

BTW- hearing the story about your heart pillow reminded me of my dad when he had a heart teddy bear that they gave him after his surgery! Now, you have to understand that my dad looks like a BIG, burly biker dude with long gray beard and kind of long hair! He's definitely not someone you would imagine in the passenger seat of a car with a teddy bear between him and the seatbelt!!! I wich I would've gotten a picture of that!!! It would've been great bribery!

Still prayin' my heart out for you and your SPEEDY recovery! I'd love to see you when you are feeling up to it! Please let me know!!! Maybe I can bring you a good protien lunch (or we can go out if you feel up to that!).

Love,
Heather

Melissa Meyers said...

Thank you so much for allowing us to "see" into this time with you! I'm so happy that your recovery is going well! My prayers continue to be with you!

PS-- I love Vicar!

Pastor Heather said...

TJ,

I couldn't reply back to your email, so I'll try this way. Would Monday morning work?? I'll call you Monday morning, if that's OK...

Heather