Tuesday, July 29, 2008

PIN CUSHION

I have terrible veins for sticking! We were at the hospital very early this morning for a TEE. Drinking the numbing stuff was pretty nasty.. it was like a tube of orajel in a salad dressing cup - thick consistency and nasty taste. they said "Chug it". . I still had the bandaids from mondays ct stick attempts and now it took 3 more tries to get an iv going. . In the big scheme of thngs i know it seems petty but its the part i dread. . they almost always end up on the back of the hand. . i wish they'd just start there. The TEE again confirmed and affirmed the leakage, the recent changes, and the causes of the 0xygen shortage. They found some other kind of "hole" somehwere else as well that should look different. . not sure what thats all about. . it will be the surgeons call. Dr. Hutchins suggested we just go ahead and get the Angio out of the way while we were there. . so I was sent off to the Cath Lab where I was to be the "next in line" for about 4 hours. Dan went and did some kid transport, came back, and we're still waiting. One reason for us to choose this hospital is the blessing of getting to be a "relief chaplain" here for a while. I love the Spiritual care team here so much and I've been a front row witness to the great care of the medical teams here. .. they really are a family. So Dan got in on some great breakroom food while we were waiting! Great perk! (thanks L!) More pincushion sticks and eventually our number was called! Surreal experience being awake and talking even laughing while you and the people around you are watching the wire move through your body. Good news is that all systems are flowing great! no blockage or obstruction anywhere. The CT reading came in while we were there and it confirmed that the Aneurysm has enlarged and is more than twice the size of a normal aortic root. Definitely all is confirming and affirming that we must move ahead on surgery.
I hadnt planned on the angio today and wasnt prepared for the resulting discomfort. Needed this week to tie down some things like laundry! but now I cant lift . (or actually walk right now).
Just the Minor stuff today reminds me of some shopping to do. .I must get some very loose, very comfy clothes.!
we'd planned on a couple of hours at the hospital this morning and spent over 12.. . . this is a weird place to be. . .trying to keep some privacy and maintain normalcy at the same time. My inbox was full of things that need my attention. I've been in touch with people that I am accountable to regardin responsibilities. . tomorrow I'll have meetings at the church that are so important as we move ahead in vision. I go to the surgeon on Thursday morning, Dan & Emm will be off this weekend to a softball tourney in our home town. I get to be part of Marrying of Beth and Steve this weekend, serve communion twice, an emmaus candle light, Sunday worship, softball celebration, then focus will turn towards the HEARTWORK that lies before us.

I am so looking forward to a wholly working heart!

No comments: