Thursday, July 31, 2008

All Systems Go!

Dan and I met with the Surgeon, Dr. Cook, today. He laid out lots of toys for us to consider - all types of different valves, pictures of hearts from different angles, lots of brochures with happy healthy people on the front cover. He had reviewed all the films and all the reports and drew nice pictures of exactly what is to happen. The aortic valve will be replaced and and a graft of the aortic root will deal with the aneurysm. The echo also revealed a congenital "hole" in one chamber that he will take care of while he's "in there" with just a few stitches. . he said "Its actually kind of fun!". (Imagine him at parties!)

We had a long conversation about pros and cons of different procedures, processes, options, etc. we've agreed on a mechanical valve. I'm a bit overwhelmed by the thought of lifetime anticoagulation therapy. . but the alternative would be probable valve replacement every 10 - 15 years. I plan to be busy. There will be minimal lifestyle adjustments that includes no more rugby, mountain climbing, or contact sports. I dont know how to break that to the Bengals but I hope they understand.

I have a few more routine pre- surgical tests on Monday then we report back at the hospital at 5 am on Tuesday August 5th. I had a very low grade fever today for unknown reasons. . please pray that there are no other infections happening that would prevent us moving forward.

Side Note: Turns out that my surgeon is a Methodist. . . a typical methodist ... the ones that keep their membership in their home church but havent been there in years and havent found a local congregation to connect with. . . .they would love to find one that is very traditional and just havent found one. . its all contemporary or just not traditional. . .i suggested a few. . .and then gave him a little mini lecture about his home church having to pay apportionments on his membership and that he should either find a new church or send a check back home. . . like most methodists. . he had no idea! he left the room to schedule the surgery and by the time he came back I had thought of yet another GREAT UMC church that he should try. . .He laughed a bit . . and I said "Dr. Cook. . you need to know that it is VERY important to me that my surgeon have a church". . OK he said. . No. . I mean it! I will be asking you a lot over the next few months. I feel so confident in his care, he comes highly recommended, he thinks heart surgery is fun, and He's of the Wesleyan family and a member of my tribe! this is great! He will literally be holding my heart in his hands and I know you'll pray with me that God will be holding us all.!

I have just a few days to tie up loose ends at home, with the kids, at the church. . Its all a bit overwhelming. Last night I met with the leadership of the church to plan for the recovery time. I was overwhelmed by words of blessings.. its hard for a pastor to let go of what they have claimed to be their "responsibility". I know that God will be / is teaching us all so much.

Today I shared with a friend that I felt overwhelmed, resolved, eager, dreadful, hesitant, determined, hopeful, scared, and amazingly peaceful all at the same time. . . and then realized - uh. . thats pretty much the reality of every moment of my life since I've known Jesus!

PSALM 139
1
O Lord, you have examined my heart
and know everything about me.
2 You know when I sit down or stand up.
You know my thoughts even when I’m far away.
3 You see me when I travel
and when I rest at home.
You know everything I do.
4 You know what I am going to say
even before I say it, Lord.
5 You go before me and follow me.
You place your hand of blessing on my head.
6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
too great for me to understand!

7 comments:

Heidi Renee said...

oh my tammy jo! we are/will be praying! you'll be the new bionic woman after this! you're going to feel like a younger, more energetic version of yourself!!!

thanks for starting the blog - please keep us posted!

DGH said...

love ya! Please let me know if there is ANYTHING I can do for yall!

Pastor Heather said...

TJ, Not just our family, but our entire church will be lifting you and your family in prayer. You are an amazing woman (only you would lecture the doc about apportionments!!!) and I KNOW you will come out of this telling amazing jokes and all about how God works in mysterious ways!! Love you, sista!!!

Karen R. said...

Tammy Jo, I can't believe it!! Your heart is so BIG. Your in great hands...God's. He has never let you down yet. I just love the verse at the end of your blog. Very appropriate. We will be praying for you many times everyday. We will be in touch. We love you Tammy Jo.

Anonymous said...

Tammy Jo...how cool that in the midst of preparing for surgery you would take care of our need to reach you and find out how you are doing by setting up this blog. You are always one step ahead and it's one of the many things I love and admire about you.

Your doctor sounds like he has a passion for his work...a perfect match for you. How will we keep up with you after you are "fine-tuned" and full of renewed energy?

You are in my prayers.

Lisa Streight

Jon Morgan said...

You are an inspiration to many. We are praying for you!

amy p said...

Tammy Jo, Sending a little love your way from the Pruetts. You are such an inspiration to so many people and we are all praying for you! God will take care of you and your family. God loves you very much, and so do we!