Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Lord You have my Heart

Well,  I'm reminded again of the fragility of these earthly vessels. . . . I made some attempt to sneak in and out of the hospital for a minor lapro procedure. . supposed to be home by noon on Monday. . . HOWEVER,   the reality of the coumadin required to keep the metal heart valve from sticking means that forever life will be unpredictable!!   By monday evening I was spiraling very close to death due to blood loss and decreased pressure and vitals.   6 days in ICU and 5 transfusions, and weeks of bruising and pain find me once again so mindful of how quickly things change in our life and how valuable the gift of each moment is.  I am so grateful for the knowing of peace in such places.    This time in the same place with the same staff felt different.  I was simply very weak. . .did not have the pain of severed bones.   The primary task was simply to rest and regain strength.  Through the week the room took on a role of joy in a place of healing.   Nurses would sit bedside on their breaks just to talk and share stories of life and faith.  Lots of great conversation about church stuff both good and bad and all the baggage so many carry because of both.  One of my doctors set in my recliner while she waited for the call to deliver the baby upstairs. .. so much wonderful conversation of birth and life and blessing and womens health and motherhood.  My room was a great place for friends to gather for late night snacks and the Reds game.  The side of the bed became a place for prayer more than once.  The lady that cleaned the room was always singing and we always shared words and smiles.   For several weeks I had been crying out for peace, for solitude, for communion with the very one who holds my sometimes fragile heart.   There in a unit designed to for intensive care came the very intensive care of the Spirit that so brings healing.

No comments: